The Christians have their various “creeds”, which are brief but therefore useful summaries of their religious beliefs. Their creeds include the “Apostles’ Creed” and the “Nicene Creed”, both of which can be looked up elsewhere. It is now time for Odinism to have an Odinist Creed – basically, a short statement of our fundamental spiritual beliefs.
The Odinist creed below is known as the “Melbourne Creed”, since it was formulated in Melbourne, Australia – the home of Rud Mills and Evelyn Price, who were the catalysts of the 20th century Odinist revival. No doubt Odinism, as it evolves, will develop other creeds, possibly even better ones. Meanwhile, here is the Melbourne Creed:
THE MELBOURNE CREED
1. I believe that Odinism is the innate religion and spiritual inheritance of the indigenous peoples of northern Europe, and their brothers, sisters and descendants in all lands and times.
2. I believe in our sacred ancestors, who are eternally with us.
3. I believe in the gods and goddesses of our people, however they are perceived by human minds and by whatever names they have manifested themselves to us.
4. Our gods and goddesses are beautiful, powerful, benevolent, wise, and forever worthy of our love and loyalty.
5. They raised up the Nation of Odin through their spiritual blessings, and by the gift to us of their own sacred blood,
6. in order that we may surpass the present level of humanity, and be the allies of the deities in their sacred struggle against the forces of chaos.
7. Anyone who opposes the will of our deities and the decrees of the Norns is a blasphemer, and must be renounced by all righteous men and women.
8. Anyone from within the Nation of Odin who opposes the will of our deities is also a traitor, and must be cast out from our holy Nation.
9. My loyalty to our deities and their purpose for the Nation of Odin is absolute, unwavering and eternal — and takes precedence over all other loyalties and commitments.
In the names of all our gods and goddesses, and of the Norns, Wassail.